Fika

To have a break during the day and sit down with friends, family or colleagues and together enjoy some coffee (kaffe) and pastries (fikabröd), that is the meaning of the word fika. For Swedes, the fika breaks (fikapaus) are the most important part of the day and of the Swedish culture.


tisdag 27 augusti 2013

The meaning of Fika

The name of this blog is Fika Penang. The reason for that is because the cafe that I will open will be called Fika. The name Fika feels like an obvious choice of name for a Swedish cafe overseas. The word fika means to sit down together to drink either coffee or tea and to eat some snacks or sweets. The word is the very meaning of Swedish coffee culture including its coffee, cakes and the social act of gathering with loved ones over a cup of freshly brewed coffee. Speaking of freshly brewed coffee, that's exactly what I'll be serving in my cafe. So no espresso machines with different types of coffee drinks such as cappuccino, latte and macchiato, but just plain black filter coffee and coffee press. I want the cafe to have a typical Swedish touch and not to involve too many outside influences. Although, of course, there is always the question if there is really something that can be called typically Swedish? Everything that is in Sweden today have come from somewhere, at some point. I mean, that is the very sence of culture, something that is non static and constantly changing. But there is still a certain style when it comes to interior design that feels typical Scandinavian. Ideally, I want a little rustic, retro feeling in the cafe because I think it would fit very well with the overall environment in Georgetown. I took this picture in Örebro, when I was there last weekend. Think it's a great inspiration for the exterior of my cafe.
Another thing that is important to me when I do my cafe is that most of the interior is second hand. Sweden is a country that is one of the world leaders in recycling (Sweden is ranked the most sustainable country in the world in 2013) and this is an awareness that I want to spread through my cafe. Malaysia is a country that is not yet highly developed when it comes to the concern of the environment, this becomes quite clear when you live here. You can find garbage and rubbish everywhere you go and it's not unusual to see people roll down their car windows and throw garbage on the streets where they pass by. It feels like there is always the thought that other people should clean up after you, instead of you taking the responsibility to pick up after yourself. So, this is why I would like to use my cafe to raise a bit of awareness about the environment and that all people themselves can make a difference.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar