Fika

To have a break during the day and sit down with friends, family or colleagues and together enjoy some coffee (kaffe) and pastries (fikabröd), that is the meaning of the word fika. For Swedes, the fika breaks (fikapaus) are the most important part of the day and of the Swedish culture.


måndag 17 november 2014

Research day


Jag startade veckan med en längre frukost denna måndag morgon och en massa research inför mitt kafeöppnande. Det är mycket som ska fixas innan jag kan öppna och det som verkligen måste vara perfekt inför öppnandet är ju såklart kaffet och bakverken. Jag vet vilket typ av kaffe samt te som jag vill servera och jag vet hur jag vill göra det för att sticka ut från andra kafeer som finns runtom här i Georgetown. På gott och ont, har det mesta jag gör i livet en politisk agenda. Jag vill inte göra saker bara för görandets skull. Ska jag driva ett kafe, måste det självklart återspegla mitt intresse för att förmedla något mer än en god kopp kaffe eller ett gott bakverk. Därav är valet av bra kaffe och te viktigt för mig. Och med bra menar jag att det ska vara så skonsamt mot miljön som möjligt och att människorna som är en del av kaffeproduktionen har goda förhållanden. Jag kan såklart aldrig garantera detta, men jag kan vara med och påverka genom de val jag gör av råvaror för min verksamhet. Det mesta i kafeet kommer att vara gjort av mig ifrån grunden. Som till exempel den grekiska yoghurten ovan. Helt utan tillsatser och underbart krämig. Med andra ord, en mycket bra start för kroppen denna måndag morgon!  


I started this week with a long breakfast this Monday morning and a lot of research for my cafe opening. There's a lot to do before I can start the business and what really needs to be perfect for the opening, is of course the coffee and the pastries. I know which type of coffee, and tea I want to serve and I know how I want to make it to stand out from other cafes here in Georgetown. For better or worse, most of the things I do in life has a political agenda. I hardly ever do things just for the sake of doing it. So if I'm going to run a café, it has to reflect my interest to convey something more than a good cup of coffee or a good pastry. Hence, the choice of good coffee and tea is important to me. And with good, I mean that it should be as clean to the environment as possible and that the people who are part of the coffee production has good conditions. I can of course never guarantee this, but I can make a difference through the choices I make of what raw materials to use for my business. Most of the things in the café will be made by me, from scratch. Like the home made yogurt above. Without any additives and amazingly creamy. In other words, the perfect start for the body this Monday morning!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar