Fika

To have a break during the day and sit down with friends, family or colleagues and together enjoy some coffee (kaffe) and pastries (fikabröd), that is the meaning of the word fika. For Swedes, the fika breaks (fikapaus) are the most important part of the day and of the Swedish culture.


måndag 7 oktober 2013

Penang is blooming

Jag smugglade med mig några pelargonskott från Sverige hit till Malaysia i förhoppning om att de skulle kunna trivas här trots det fuktiga klimatet. Jag vill ha pelargoner på framsidan av kafeet eftersom det för mig känns så värmland och lantligt. Lite som hemma i Kristinehamn alltså. Jag var inte säker på om det fanns att få tag på pelargoner här i Penang och även då jag är medveten om att det inte är så smart att frakta plantor mellan olika länder, så gjorde jag det ändå. Fy skäms! Problemet var bara att när vi kom fram till Penang, så var inte väskan som skotten låg i där utan den väskan hade hamnat i Australien. Lite ironiskt eftersom Australien är ett utav de mest strikta länderna vad gäller att skydda sin biologiska mångfald. Jag tror absolut inte att de vill ha dit några pelargoner från Sverige. I alla fall, väskan kom tillbaka hit till Penang men då hade det gått så många dagar från att vi lämnat Sverige så jag trodde att plantorna hade dött redan. Jag planterade dem i vilket fall i krukor på våran balkong och imorse när jag gick ut på balkongen hade två av skotten redan börjat blomma!


I smuggled some geraniums shots with me from Sweden to Malaysia in hope that they could thrive here despite the humid climate. I want some geraniums in the five foot way outside the cafe because for me it feels so Värmland (the province in Sweden where I'm from) and it also feels very countryside -ish. Kind of like back home in Kristinehamn. I was not sure if it was possible to buy geraniums here in Penang and even though I am aware of that it is not so smart to carry foreign plants into Malaysia, I did it anyway. Shame on me! The problem was that when we arrived in Penang , the bag that had the shots inside had ended up in Australia. A bit ironic since Australia is one of the strictest countries in terms of protecting its biodiversity. I really don't think that Australia is interested in taking in some geraniums shots from Sweden . Anyway, the bag came back here to Penang but by that time it had gone so many days from when we left Sweden so I thought the plants had died already. I planted them anyway in some pots at our balcony and this morning when I went out to the balcony, two of the shots had already started to bloom!




Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar